FAQs / Tips
We understand and appreciate that a wise consumer will have questions. Please feel free to CONTACT HSHT with your queries. Some of the common questions are:
- What is a Senior Move Manager (SMM)?
- Who Uses Senior Move Managers?
- Do You Have Special Credentials?
- How much do services cost?
- When Is Payment Required?
- What issues should be discussed in person?
- How are travel time and mileage handled?
- How are services terminated?
- Does your company also provide home care services?
- I live out of Province. How do you keep in touch with me?
- Can you provide me with references?
- I am interested in obtaining some help with my mom's move, but we can do most of the work to save money. Can I still contact Home Suite Home Transitions to do just some of the work?
- What makes Home Suite Home Transitions different from just a moving company?
- What questions should I ask when deciding to contract with a Senior Move Manager®?
What is a Senior Move Manager (SMM)?
A Senior Move Manager® is a professional who specializes in assisting older adults and their families with the emotional and physical aspects of relocation and/or "aging in place." Home Suite Home Senior Move Managers® can help with some or all of the following:
- Developing an overall move plan or direct you to "age in place" resources
- Organizing, sorting and downsizing
- Customized floor plans
- Arranging for the profitable disposal of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, buy-out, consignment, donation, or a combination of the above
- Interviewing, scheduling and overseeing movers
- Arranging shipments and storage
- Supervise and oversight of professional packing
- Unpacking and settle-in at the new home
- Coordinating related services, such as cleaning, waste removal, shopping, senior escort, selection of a realtor and helping prepare the home to be sold.
- Provide practical knowledge about the costs, quality and availability of various local community resources
One call to a Senior Move Manager® can connect you with services older adults and families need for a seamless, successful transition of all kinds. Individuals who choose to stay in their own homes may require home modifications to safely "age in place". A Senior Move Manager can provide trustworthy contacts who can help them achieve their goal of ... not moving anywhere, but improving quality of life!
Who Uses Senior Move Managers?
Senior Move Managers® are contacted by various sources:
- Older adults
- Family members
- Bank and trust officers
- Geriatric Care Managers
- Social service providers/social workers
- Senior living communities
- Physicians and allied health providers
- Staging professionals
Do You Have Special Credentials?
Although industry standards have not yet been required by law, Home Suite Home Transitions staff proudly believe in and adhere to a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for all National Association of Senior Move Manager (NASMM). Patti Priestman, owner of Home Suite Home Transitions, is a certified SMM (SMM) and a Certified Relocation and Transition Specialist (CRTS). This means:
- Senior Move Managers® have significant expertise in resources and approaches that save money, reduce stress and produce quality results.
- Services are client-centered and personalized to meet the client's needs and preferences. Families will benefit from the experience of a Senior Move Manager as an outside expert!
- Home Suite Home Transitions maintain full insurance and personal bonding and Police checks for all staff.
- Ongoing educational programs reflect our commitment to professionalism and to working with older adults.
- The numbers tell the story. Happy Birthday to 10,000 Boomers Every day until 2030. 10,000 people across North America will turn 65 years old every day for years to come!
- Many seniors have no surviving children, or increasingly, their children are older adults themselves. If illness or death precipitates the move, the family is likely already drained both emotionally and physically. Help is needed. Senior Move Managers® emerged to meet this need and to facilitate related transitions for everyone involved.
- Today, many families are geographically dispersed and adult children are often not able to help with the moving process due to distance, career and family obligations. For some family members family conflict may present barriers. A third party representative can help maintain fragile relationships.
- Often older adults making a transition have not moved in 30, 40 or 50 years and need to downsize considerably. The organizational and physical tasks associated with planning and implementing such a complex move can be overwhelming for the entire family. Seek the help of experienced, insured professionals and call a Senior Move Manager®.
How much do services cost?
We have been involved with home transitions that cost $300 (an apartment), $500 (from home to a retirement residence), all the way to $5000 (5 BR, long time home). On the other hand we have done many complete 2-3 BR transitions that were in the range of $1500 to $3000.
It is virtually impossible to predict what a specific transition might cost without visiting the location, and discussing each person`s unique situation. Do you need to empty a home of a deceased loved one? Or is it to move to a new home, and therefore pack items and unpack at the new location? Or perhaps you are not moving, but you would like help ship fragile items, or paintings to family. Other people wish to get their home "in order" so their kids wont have to do it... later. Some people keep, and treasure, everything, squirrelling items away in every nook and cranny. This project would take more time to sort through than a project with a person who purges regularly, with little attachment to possessions.
An in-home consultation is provided at no charge to help determine the scope of services that may be helpful to you: whether you may benefit from just one service, or a combination, an estimate can be provided.
When Is Payment Required?
Written agreements are provided prior to service, so there are no surprises. Many contracts are completed within a week. Home Suite Home Transitions requires payment upon completion of the contract. For longer contracts payment of services `to date`are due at the end of each month until the contract is completed.
Incidental costs (providing boxes, packing material, tape gun, long distance telephone calls, sourcing other service providers), are on a cost recovery basis. If additional professionals are called into the project, contracts are between the client and the service. Therefore Home Suite Home Transitions will not add any surcharges.
What issues should be discussed in person?
Anything you want! An in-home consultation is our opportunity to get to know each other and be sure we can work together. A positive and open relationship is important to successful outcomes. The key to getting there is communication. This starts with asking the kinds of questions that come to mind. We prefer to take the time to make sure you are happy with our services right from the beginning, then it will be a productive experience, giving you and family members peace of mind.
How are travel time and mileage handled?
I see travel, fuel and mileage as part of owning a business. You will not be charged for my travel time, mileage or fuel.
How are services terminated?
The opposite is usually the case (services are added on)! However, if you find our services are no longer needed, our agreement will be terminated. Payment would only be required for the services that had been provided. If items had been purchased on your behalf, repayment would be required for the amount identified on receipts.
Does your company also provide home care services?
No. However we would be happy to give you a number of proven references for your consideration. Age-In-Place specialists are able to modify your home to keep you safe if you prefer not to move.
I live out of Province. How do you keep in touch with me?
If face-to-face conversations are not possible, then Email, phone, skype, facebook, or fax are possible. Whatever method you prefer! Email is ideal for providing updates and documentation.
Can you provide me with references?
Yes. Please check out our testimonial section and I am happy to provide references that reflect your situation during a personal visit.
I am interested in obtaining some help with my mom's move, but we can do most of the work to save money. Can I still contact Home Suite Home Transitions to do just some of the work?
Yes, we offer a menu of services from which you can choose. The ultimate goal is to ease the stress of the move process for older adults and family members, not add to your concerns.
What makes Home Suite Home Transitions different from just a moving company?
- Home Suite Home Transitions wants to be sure you only move what you want to move, that items will fit safely, without overcrowding. We have a proven process to meet these criteria. from decluttering, to space planning and post-move unpack and set up we follow the process through.
- Senior Move Managers® know how to minimize the chaos and stress associated with moving by addressing all aspects of the move process. We create and execute a seamless action plan, customized to meet our client's wishes.
- Home Suite Home Transitions is not a moving company however we work closely with a number of reputable local moving companies who will do the physical moving of possessions.
- With the gentle and expert guidance of an experienced Senior Move Manager®, older adults and families make the key decisions without the emotional and physical distress that can follow. As a result, they avoid the costly mistakes and remorse that often accompany such major lifestyle transitions.
- Senior Move Managers® do so much more than simply sort, settle and move boxes; with loads of energy, enthusiasm and experience, Senior Move Managers® take the misery out of the move! The client's job is simply to tell us what they like, and ultimately to enjoy his or her new living arrangement.
You Were Great!
Thanks Patti and Team
You were great! Everything we had hoped for. I will certainly recommend you.
Katie Dec 2019.